The PLA flag is currently Yellow and due to the amount of water in the Thames catchment area, is unlikely to revert to Green before the race. As a result, the committee have reluctantly taken the decision to limit the size of the field on safety grounds. All affected crews have been contacted via email to their Entries Secretaries/Club Captains.

  • Only crews with more than 100 CRI (as at close of entries) have been allowed to remain in the draw.  
  • Any crews remaining in the draw that contain J15 rowers or coxes needs to substitute those crew members in order for the crew to race. This includes coxes of non-junior crews. These substitutions must be completed by 3pm on Friday 6th March. If more than 50% of the crew need to be substituted you can still race for Time Only. If you cannot make the substitutions you will be unable to race. In either case, please confirm with our entries secretary.
  • Any Overseas crew with insufficient CRI to remain in the draw must contact WEHORR entries secretary by 3pm Friday.

The revised draw has been updated here

We will continue to monitor the situation and our next update will be no later than 10am Friday.

As ever, we thank everyone for their patience – we are working hard to deliver a race under challenging circumstances. EDIT: please don’t chase us for refunds. We are still busy organising the race and won’t be in a position to discuss this until our committee meeting next week.